The City of Primera is dedicated to providing excellent municipal services that enhance the quality of life for our citizens.
The City of Primera will be a progressive and fiscally sound, family-oriented community with a full range of housing, business, cultural and recreational opportunities in a safe environment for residents and visitors.
General Scope Summary
The City of Primera is a General Law city located in western Cameron County. It was incorporated on April 9, 1955; The City abuts the City of Harlingen on the northwest and has an estimated population of 4300. The current City administration is as follows:
Mayor -The Honorable R. Dave Kusch
Mayor Pro-tem -Ms Hilda Siller
Alderwoman -Diana Ramirez
Alderman -Mr. Felix Siller
Alderman -Mr. Rudy Garza, Jr.
Alderman -Chuck Navarro
City Administrator -Mr. Javier Mendez
Assistant City Administrator -Mrs. Veronica Flores
City Attorney -Mr. Gustavo Ruiz
City Engineer -R.E. Garcia & Associates
The following represent current or recently completed projects:
- 2015 Received a grant of $200,000.00 from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to expand Primera Park, project anticipated completion by January 2018
- 2016 Completed street reconstruction of Ellie Lane, Ruby Red Circle and Orange Lane, reconstruction was funded via a $215,382.00 grant from the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Community Development Block Grant Program.
- 2016 Completed overlay of Stuart Place Road from Wilson Road north to about 1,000 feet past City Hall. Total cost of $674,000.00 paid from bond proceeds and general fund reserves.
- 2016 Received a grant of $500,000.00 from the Valley Legacy Foundation for the construction of a 2.2 mile long pedestrian/bike trail. Initial engineering has begun on the project and completion is anticipated in the summer of 2018.
- 2016 Initiated design on the reconstruction of Carver Road from Hand Road west to El Paso Drive, $230,000.00 in grant funds made available through the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Community Development Block Grant Program. Completion is slated for the spring of 2018.
- 2017 Construction substantially complete on the City of Primera’s $2.8 million joint project with Cameron County Drainage District # 5 for area drainage improvements. This project was funded by the Department of Public Safety’s Hazzard Mitigation Grant Program Hurricane Dolly funding.
Projects in the planning stages:
- The city is in the process of developing an interlocal agreement with Cameron County to rehabilitate north Stuart Place Road, one of two major thorough fares at a cost of $ 560,000.00 to be paid for from the city’s general fund reserves.
- Submitted a grant proposal to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Community Development Block Grant Program for the continued reconstruction of Carver Road west from El Paso Road to the railroad tracks. Total funds applied for is $275,000.00.
- Developed plans to construct a Veterans Memorial projected to cost $100,000.00.
- Authorized city staff to submit a grant application for sidewalks to the Texas Department of Transportation’s Alternative Transportation Routes grants program due on May 22, 2017.